Friday, July 9, 2010

Timely Scriptures of the Day

Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.

Proverbs 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.

---------------

D & C 42:23 And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit; and if he repents not he shall be cast out.

D&C 63: 16 And verily I say unto you, as I have said before, he that looketh on a woman to lust after her, or if any shall commit adultery in their hearts, they shall not have the Spirit, but shall deny the faith and shall fear.

3 Nephi 12:28 But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman, to lust after her, hath committed adultery already in his heart.

(I imagine the gender applied in these verses is not exclusive.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are certain lines that must not, under any circumstances, be crossed, and certain actions that will never, throughout all eternity, be justified. The line between fidelity and infidelity in marriage, whether physical, emotional, or mental, is absolute. There can be forgiveness for violation of that line, but never justification.

It's one of those "drive the carriage on the side of the road farthest away from the edge of the cliff" things. It's vital that we don't get complacent and think we're safe from falling. Just about everyone who gets caught in that trap knows better, and has rationalized themselves away from the Spirit and into the arms of Satan. We need to have a bit of healthy fear of crossing that line. It's better to be a bit prudish than to wake up one day in Hell.

Old Man C said...

I couldn't have outlined my feelings on the matter any better than what you've written here. My marriage was NEVER a restriction to me. I never felt constrained. I felt a physical change when I got married that made the idea of pursuing another woman (or even interacting with one in anything other than a superficial way) repugnant to me. I tried throughout our marriage to explain that marriage was a freeing arrangement, but my spouse only ever saw a wagging finger and someone yelling, "NO!"